Pages

Tuesday 18 February 2014

Pregnancy essientials - what you need to help throughout most of your pregnancy!

I am on the roll here it seems! Check me out;) Will it be the only new years resolution that I actually stick to?? We shall wait and see;)

As I am over half way of my second pregnancy, today I thought was a good day to share with you all my little tips and products that make all the joys and strains of carrying your child easier!

I understand that it is such a special time, whether the baby was planned or not, but also it is very daunting and scary in a way! You are trying to get to grips with the situation, and I think it's mostly getting used to the new situation and accepting it that will help you through it all.

So without any more blabbing here are a few things that should hopefully help you in your pregnancy:

1. Folic acid & Vitamin tablets

Whether you are trying for a baby or have just discovered that you are pregnant, it is recommended to take folic acid to help the baby grow properly. I personally take Pregnacare tablets for pregnancy and breastfeeding, however they can be a bit pricey! In Boots they retail for over £11 each.


Photo taken from Vitabiotics website

If you don't want to spend money on tablets, you should have a folic acid rich diet, but most doctors will still recommend that you take tablets.

    • broccoli
    • brussels sprouts
    • liver
    • spinach
    • asparagus
    • peas
    • chickpeas
    • brown rice
    • fortified breakfast cereals
    • marmite

2. Fight morning sickness with ginger or tonic water

Some women are lucky enough and don't suffer a lot from morning sickness, but I also know some friends of mine were literally chained to the toilet being so sick! 

I had very mild nausea in my first pregnancy that normally occurred when I was travelling to work, that was the time when I used to take a mini can of Schweppes Tonic and drink it whenever I felt the sickness coming on. It used to work like a treat! With this pregnancy however I was suffering much more. I was off food for the first few months and the sicky feeling stayed with me for most of the day. Thats when Pukka tea came to the rescue! Most people say that gingery things help with morning sickness whether it's ginger cookies or tea. My preferred option was tea, especially lemon, ginger and manuka honey! It's perfectly refreshing but also sweet so there is no need to add any sugar or honey!

Photo taken from Pukka website

3. Look after your skin!

I think all future mums know that as beautiful as it is to grow a baby inside you it also puts an enormous strain on your body and skin especially! I am talking stretch marks here. I think it really depends on your skin type how much stretch marks you get during your pregnancy, but you can always help your body by moisturising to make it more elastic! There are tons of products for expecting mums and their unwelcome stretch marks, but the product I have used with my first and second baby is Bio Oil. It claims to help with scarring as well.

I always involve my husband, so when we are in bed in the evening his job is to moisturise my bump! 
He loves it as well as it gives him some time with his unborn baby, thats when he massages it and talks to it, I absolutely love those moments! Now that we have a 3 year old we don't get this special pregnancy time any more as we are occupied all the time! So having this 'bump' time is really precious! 

I think some products might be better, some worse but it's what you find works best for you. So with the trial and error method you will find something that works for you!

One more thing I wanted to say about stretch marks is that, just because you don't get them while you're pregnant it doesn't mean a lucky escape! I was free of them until the time of labour ( and now I know why it's called labour not a walk in the park!), but after all the pushing and the strain stretch marks appeared on my body! They are not huge or purple just little white lines but they are there! I am not saying it's a big deal as well, it reminds me of how amazing my body is, and that once I grew my beautiful daughter inside me! 

Photo taken from boots.com


4. Pregnancy/ maternity cushion

Oh bobbins, all the ladies out there that are pregnant and like sleeping on their front will understand what I am talking about! Sleeping is taken to a completely new difficulty level when you are carrying! That's why pregnancy cushion was a godsend! I have two, a smaller one which I use downstairs for breastfeeding and a larger one that I use for sleeping when pregnant and then as a feeding cushion once the baby is out!:) I bought mine in John Lewis for £45 and its called Theraline Big V Maternity Nursing Pillow in Ecru. 

You basically put it between your legs when you're sleeping on your side and it makes the sleeping so much more comfortable! Plus you can always use it as a feeding pillow so there is definitely almost a year of use in!

Photo taken from John Lewis wesite

5. Working mum

If you work in London and/ or use public transport I highly recommend getting a 'baby on board' badge! I am a curvaceous lady, so during the first trimester I just looked like I had too much for lunch! Which is frustrating in a way but hey! So when you are feeling rough, haven't slept well from all the excitement and over thinking, you have been chained to the toilet for the best part of your morning the last thing you want to do is stand on a crowded tube or bus! You want to sit your bum and stretch your legs! And this is why I urge all the expecting mums to order a badge like this or get it from any tube station ticket office! Most people will give you a seat and it avoids you getting into a huff;) Not that you're having any being hormonal and emotional;))



6. Comfortable clothes

I admire some expecting mums that they can still trot in their heels and look glamourous! I wasn't one of those mums. I preferred to wear my comfy flats, appropriate underwear and some nice stretchy clothes! And thats where I want to give you a little tip! If you don't absolutely need to splash on fancy maternity clothing just go to your local Primark and buy things that are two sizes too big! All my leggings are from there and most of the tops! I just can't justify spending so much money on maternity clothes knowing I won't wear them again!

Good places to look for some nice maternity bargains is ebay! I know it's not everyones cup of tea but you can save a fortune that way!

Don't get me wrong I think you do need to invest in some key pieces like a maternity coat or nice trousers with bump support, but other than that I don't feel the need on paying 3 times as much for leggings just because they printed 'maternity' on it!


I think this is it from me today:) I also have a video on my you tube channel so please check it out.
I will speak to you soon:) xxx





No comments:

Post a Comment